Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Campers

We went on our first camping trip this weekend(it was a family camping trip through our church). We had a soggy good time! Friday was spent packing and loading. I packed way to many clothes(hey, ya never know) and not enough entertainment. I will bring a few toys next time...maybe bikes. Fortunately, the kids came up with some of their own and some of the more experienced campers from church had things to do. I was as organized as I ever get when it came to packing. Each person had his/her own bag filled with all of the necessary items.

I picked Maddie up from school and after a few fiascoes (losing the tent stakes and one of Aidan's shoes), we were on our way. Loaded to the gills! Megan's family was there also and had already scoped out a beach and several play grounds. What a beautiful lake Ray Roberts is! James and Aidan got the the tent set up(found the missing staked after stopping to buy new ones)and the fun began. Meg and I took the kids to the park, James got a fire started. I have decided there is a fine line between a fireman and a pyro-maniac. James did Survivorman proud! The man knows how to do fire!

Our first meal consisted of hot dogs and chips. I even took traditional camping food and tried to make it slightly healthier - turkey dogs. It was really yummy! We were able to chat with our pastor and some other from church and by that time is was getting dark. There is not much to do when it is pitch black outside, but go to bed.

This is where it gets interesting. Around midnight it began to rain. And rain and rain and rain! By 3ish we were a little damp and by 5 we were soaked. We made a mad dash to the Yukon and spent the rest of the night there. Everything in the tent was soaked as well as the things that were left out. Shoes, chairs, towels, everything. So first thing James worked his fire magic and started drying things out. He made a huge breakfast that was out of this world. By early afternoon, the weather was getting worse so we threw everything in the car and beat a path home.

We will definitely do it again even if we were soaked and I have officially broken a record for how much laundry can be done in a day. The kids had a great time. It was a memorable first camping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment